Essay help structuring a mental health research essay: A Qaulitative and Quantitative study
How to structure an academic research essay for mental health: A qaulitative and qauntiative study
An Introduction within an academic essay should inform the reader as to what is covered within the essay (refer to the course handbook assignment criteria to make sure you cover all elements).
- Why is there a need for research and evidence to inform practice and why is having, an understanding of research methods and types of evidence important for nurses and midwives (see lecture notes, recommended texts and professional codes).
- State which element of the research meth
- ods you are looking at (sampling, or data collection tools or data analysis) and giving a brief rationale discuss why this method has been selected?
- State which issues (questions) within that element are going to be appraised. It is suggested you use the Moule (2018) Critical appraisal framework tool (which can be accessed from NURS 1547 Moodle or directly from Moule (2018) p160-162) to identify the specific question pertinent to the chosen method.
Appraise one element of the method you have chosen to analyse from the two articles given. This should be one of the following elements
Sampling or data collection tools or data analysis
Decide on one of the above elements, within that one element you need to appraise in the region of four/five issues that are part of that element identified critically discussing relevant questions from the Critical appraisal tool. This should provide the structure for this part of your essay. You should use research textbooks/ or methodological research papers to discuss and appraise the questions from the relevant section of a critical appraisal tool (Moule 2018).
You should be presenting arguments to appraise the value or quality of the approach taken by the researcher’s by presenting arguments to show why the strategies used in that element of the method were used, the advantages and potential disadvantages of these strategies.
- You should deduce how the above strategies influence the validity, reliability, credibility of your chosen element (sampling or data collection tools or data analysis) on the studies?
You could pose alternatives e.g. if they could have collected their data via questionnaires rather than interviews, but if you do this you will need to explain why you think that.
- Familiarise yourself with the concept of Evidenced based Practice and the Hierarchy of Evidence - You should critique the concept of a Hierarchy of Evidence? (HoE)
Nursing/Midwifery practice requires multiple ways of knowing – therefore what type(s) of evidence are, the two articles given to you within this assignment – link to HoE (reference).
You need to identify the position the two articles hold with justification on known hierarchies of evidence, providing a debate around the usefulness of HoE to inform practice.
You should finally discuss:
- How does the type of evidence (research design) of the two articles inform your area of practice? How might the type of evidence be valued within practice?
- Paraphrase the findings of both articles and briefly, how might the findings contribute to your area of practice?
Your arguments must be supported with contemporary research methods and evidencebased practice literature (see the reading list in the course handbook for examples)
Please ensure you discuss both articles within each question from Moule (2018).
Please note in the main body you should discuss both articles together comparing and critiquing the aspect of the methodology of your choice.
- Give definitions, and academic references for key concepts identified within the assessment criteria
The conclusion should bring together your main points discussed within the main body of the assignment. No new information should be in a conclusion.
This should include the reference to the two articles given to you to use for the essay and all other research and evidence textbooks, articles, professional codes and critiquing tools you have used to support your arguments using the Harvard referencing system.
9.19 cohort by JCS & AB course NURS 1547.