Masters in Law, PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE RESEARCH REPORT
- Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the relevant area
- Analysis of complex legal, factual, business and/or management issues, as appropriate
- Application of knowledge and understanding to the task
- Ability to select and use appropriate information in support of the argument
- Ability critically to evaluate information as appropriate
- Ability to reach a clear and reasoned solution to the problem(s) raised in the task, addressing any ethical and commercial issues, as appropriate
- Ability to communicate using a clear and logical structure and language appropriate to the task
Criminal Litigation Question
In July 2017 Lord Justice Jackson published his review of fixed recoverable costs in civil litigation cases.
Did this report make a forceful case for fixed recoverable costs in lower value cases in England and Wales or is the criticism, particularly from Claimant law firms, justified? In preparing your report you need to address the following areas:
1. A brief summary of the historic basis and rationale for introducing fixed recoverable costs in civil litigation cases;
2. The key proposals suggested by Lord Justice Jackson and the Government response, to include, for example, the provisions in any draft legislation;
3. How these will impact on Claimant law firms;
4. Discuss whether you think the changes are justified.